Google AdSense is a contextual advertising service that allows site owners to place ad units on their resources, making a profit from this. Google Adsense rewards may be awarded for ad clicks (conversions) or impressions. The cost of clicks ranges from a few cents to hundreds of dollars.
The Google Adsense service is mainly used by information sites, news portals, and blogs. In this case, placing advertisements becomes the main source of income for resource owners. Sometimes you can find Adsense ad units on commercial sites as well. However, internet marketers recommend not to abuse the service’s capabilities, because promotional materials can distract potential buyers from taking targeted actions or redirect them to a competitor’s website.
Google Adsense website requirements
To work with Google Adsense, you need to make sure your site is monetized and meets the minimum requirements. Google recommends that you thoroughly evaluate the quality of your content and ease of navigation before you apply. The texts on the site should arouse the interest of users and be easy to perceive, and interaction with the interface should be as clear and convenient as possible. Otherwise, the system will impose penalties on the resource or even exclude it from the program.
Content and quality of posted content
Google AdSense has a number of requirements for the content of text content that is posted on the sites of system participants. The list is quite impressive, but you need to familiarize yourself with it before applying.
You will not be able to make money from showing advertisements if you use:
- Adult content – materials with pornographic and/or erotic content;
- Dangerous and/or offensive content – propaganda of violence, calls for suicide, discrimination of certain segments of the population by nationality, gender, religion, etc .;
- Content promoting the use of drugs, tobacco products, and alcohol – advertising of illegal substances, alcohol, and cigarettes, thematic discussions;
- Gambling content – casino and bookmaker advertisements, calls for scratch cards and lottery tickets, online betting registration;
- Medical and pharmaceutical content – sale of prescription drugs, prohibited dietary supplements, dietary supplements. An exception is the offer of drugs that are sold in pharmacies without a prescription, as well as information materials about prescription drugs and supplements posted for the purpose of familiarizing/educating users (without a call to purchase);
- Materials promoting hacking and the distribution of malware – instructions for installing equipment for hacking systems, advertising virus programs, etc.;
- Content about making money on the Internet – sites that offer to make money on clicks, page views, instructions on how to make money on the Internet;
Content that misleads users – contradictory or deliberately false information about persons and/or companies;
Shock content – materials showing acts of violence, photographs from the scenes of crimes, accidents, etc .;
Weapon-related content – advertising of firearms and edged weapons, calls to purchase, instructions on how to make explosive devices on your own, promotion of harm to health;
Illegal Content – photos, videos and text materials that are contrary to US law;
Materials calling for unfair activities – advertising the production of fake documents, the sale of term papers, the promotion of fraudulent activities.
Google AdSense places demands not only on content but also on the quality of content. Materials on sites where advertisements will be displayed should be of interest to users. You need to post original content that does not violate copyright. Copying and pasting texts from other resources can lead to the blocking of an account in the service.
Ease of navigation
An important criterion for any sites that you plan to connect to Google Adsense is a convenient menu. Users must quickly find answers to their questions, interact with all interface elements. Future Google Adsense partners will find useful tips and tricks on website design in the Website Optimization Guide.
Penalties from Google Adsense for content mismatch
If a site connected to the Google AdSense service starts to post inappropriate content, the webmaster will receive a warning notification. They will be displayed in the system account and will be sent to the email specified during registration. Ignoring the recommendations of the service can lead to the limited display of advertisements or complete account blocking. For more information on violations and penalties, see the Google Adsense Help Center.
How to sign up for Google Adsense and start making money
When you are sure that the site meets the requirements of the service, apply for registration. To do this, click on the “Register” button on the main page of the service
In the window that opens, you will have to fill out a form for participation in the program. It consists of two fields – website URL and webmaster’s email.
After registration, the service will offer to fill in the billing address. It is required to receive rewards in the system.
In the fields, you need to specify the type of account – “Personal” or “Business”. The first is for individuals, and the second is for individual entrepreneurs and legal entities. When choosing a business account, you will have to fill in one more line of the form – the address of the organization (actual or legal). Owners of personal accounts must provide the full address of their actual place of residence.
After filling out the payment profile, the service will generate a code. It needs to be placed on the site between the <head> and </head> tags,