Who is this guide for
For entrepreneurs with businesses looking to start a blog
For people without a business who want to make money on a blog
Starting a blog is easy if you start one for yourself. But if you want to know how to make money on your blog, you need to come up with a development strategy. In this guide, we’ll cover in detail what you need to get started and how to make money from blogging for a beginner.
Why do people start a blog?
- Share your opinion, hobbies, life
- Teach something
- Build an expert’s personal brand
- Sell services and products
- Do all of the above at once
- How often to post
Prepare yourself not to see results right away. Remember why all this is needed so as not to lose motivation at the very beginning.
How to start blogging
Making money from a blog from scratch (blog monetization) requires careful planning. To start a blog that potentially becomes your business:
- Consider different monetization opportunities.
- Choose an audience.
- Choose a blog platform, domain, and create a blog.
- Plan your publishing strategy
- Below we will dwell on each of these steps in more detail.
How to make money on a blog
You can make money not only on advertising. Especially if you can grow not just a large audience, but loyal readers who are waiting for your posts.
How to make money on a blog on the Internet besides advertising:
- Sell services: writing, consulting, design.
- Publish a book and sell it as a physical or digital product.
- Partner with another brand and earn a commission every time you sell their product. On Host, for example, there is an affiliate program where you get $ 20 for each client you bring. You can practice on us.
- Make paid reviews for brands. For example, doing reviews of services is fine when you already have a well-promoted blog.
- Sell nothing or advertise. Build a personal brand and get hired by clients who love your blog.
- At first, it will be difficult for you to estimate how much you can make from a blog. But the most important thing is to understand who your audience is and how you will help them with your blog.
Pick a Niche: What Will Be Your Feature?
There is no shortage of content on the Internet. Therefore, it is difficult to stand out, but it is possible.
There are 2 ways in which you can compete for user attention:
- Choose a narrow specific audience
- Create unique content
- Here are some examples of strategies:
- Choose a specific location (for example, a blog about a city).
- Pick a narrower segment from a broader category (for example, vegan recipes, not just recipes).
- Blog in a distinctive style (for example, write sarcastically).
- Write deeply about what you do know – marketing, planes, books – whatever. Anything based on your experience and about which you know a lot will come in.
- Make a manifesto of your life – a blog where the person is closely intertwined with the professional, but there is a distance from the reader. This is how you become such a human brand. This shoots well – users begin to read you regularly and become attached to you.
- The main rules of a good blog:
- Be helpful to the reader
- Deliver quality content (good photos and texts)
- Experiment with different presentation formats
Choose your blog platform
This is where most future bloggers get stuck. They are not sure which platform to invest their money and time on. They start to wonder if they can make money from blogging on the Internet. Do not hesitate – do it, and there it will be seen.
You can choose free or paid blogging option:
Medium or Tumblr: These are platforms with a built-in audience of bloggers and readers. You can blog there, but in order to promote your personal brand or business, it’s best to start a blog on your domain. If you make a blog on your own domain, it doesn’t stop you from publishing on other blogging platforms.
Buy a domain and make a blog on it. With this option, you will not have any technical restrictions – you can do whatever you want. On the Host, we offer virtual hosting with a domain, where you will install the engine for the blog automatically in 5 minutes. To see if this is right for you, you can take a free 30-day test.
Lay the foundation for growth
Usually, people start thinking about the audience after starting a blog and publishing. But if you want your blog to grow quickly, you need to think about your audience even before starting your blog. If you know who your audience is, it will be easier for you to understand how to blog and make money from it.
Let’s take a look at the steps you can take to build a strategy and get the most out of each post.
Start collecting subscriber addresses as early as possible.
It doesn’t matter what platform you use for your blog – focus on getting subscribers. Collect addresses to connect with loyal readers. If you change platforms or decide to start something new, your subscriber list will stay with you.
Look for traffic opportunities from search engines
By using a keyword search, you will get a general idea of the frequency of searches in your niche. The higher the number of requests, the more the topic is in demand, and the more traffic you can potentially get in the future.
One of the most popular search tools is the Google Keyword Planner. With the planner, you will search for keywords and determine how many search results are shown for your query, how many competitors you have for that query, and the words related to your keywords.